Kamionka Wielka is the name of our village and our commune, or Gmina.
The flag of the Gmina
As such KW, the village, is the seat of KW, the Gmina – the Gmina offices are close to the church, in the centre of the village, where you’ll also find Spar, Delikatesy Centrum, the Post Office and a filling station.
Shops and bars are also at intervals along the road to and through the village.
With a population hovering at about 3,000 (Gmina approx. 10,000) Kamionka Wielka is 6 miles (9km) south-east of Nowy Sącz and 51 miles (82km) south-east of Kraków. Of course, those distances are as the crow flies – by road it is closer to 120 km to Kraków.
The Gmina is known for outdoor pursuits – walking, cycling, hunting and mushroom gathering, swimming and fishing and horse riding. There’s a football team and pitch in Jamnica.
Other villages in the Gmina include:
Bogusza, with its wooden orthodox church, and which was almost entirely depopulated during Operation Vistula, the 1947 forced resettlement of post-war Poland’s Ukrainian minority (locally, Lemkos).
Mystków, the oldest village in the Gmina, with the imposing baroque Church of Ss Philip and Jacob